Organ Donation is the Gift of Many Lives

A loving mother and AirMed medical team member shares her heartfelt story about her son Austin and his gift of life to a woman he never knew, but who has brought renewed joy to so many.

Austin organ donation saves others
Lori's son Austin.
One of the things in life I am the most passionate about is organ donation. The reason—the main reason—for my passion is that I have personally experienced the joys of knowing someone who has been the recipient of a donated organ. I have seen the quality of life they now enjoy and know how it not only saved but has enriched their life.

Eight years ago, I lost my 14-year-old son, Austin, to a bicycle accident. I discussed the act of organ donation with his father when he died and was able to persuade him to let me pursue my wishes in this matter. There were many papers to sign and various procedures to discuss in this process. Once my son was declared brain dead by the doctors, I signed the organ donation papers to allow the procurement to begin. 

I asked a friend of mine at the Alabama Organ Center (AOC) to do the procedure himself. He assured me that he would perform the procedure and also would wait with my son’s body until the funeral home came to retrieve him. As you might imagine, these were some of the most painful days of my life, and I was pretty sure that the pain I was feeling would never subside.

Approximately a year after I lost my son, I decided to write the recipient of Austin's heart, lungs and a kidney. AOC has a program which allows donors and recipients to communicate through their offices, allowing each party to make the decision whether to establish a relationship, friendship or have simple contact. Fortunately for me, I received a letter from the recipient of all four of the above mentioned organs that once belonged to my son.


The recipient was a 39-year-old woman, a teacher who was forced to retire at a young age due to her lifelong health issues. She was born with a heart condition that did not allow oxygen to flow through her body appropriately. Due to this heart condition, her lungs were damaged throughout the years, and eventually her kidneys as well. She was not able to walk to the mail box at the end of her driveway without having to take a break and sometimes not able to continue with another break. After she received Austin’s organs, she went through a six-month healing process before being discharged from the hospital.
Organ Donation friendship result
Lori (left) and her friend Lyn

Meeting this woman was probably one of the most emotional meetings of my life. Her name is Lyn, and my friendship with her has become something that not only encourages me, but that gives me great joy. Our friendship has helped me heal in ways that I don’t think most people who lose a loved one could ever fathom.

Lyn has to have regular and often invasive checkups every six months to make sure that everything is functioning properly. Since the initial surgery, she has had to have another kidney transplant. Austin’s kidney was not functioning well after almost 6 years. I was very upset when she told me that she was going to require another kidney or be on continuous dialysis...that is, until I found out that a transplanted kidney typically only lasts around three years after being subjected to the kinds of anti-rejection medications she is required to take. (My baby comes from tough genes!)

Lyn has since had a successful kidney transplant and is doing well. She is a remarkable lady, extremely grateful, and continues to take advantage of her second chance at life. Recipients deal with a constant range of emotions and feelings, as well as the donors who have lost a loved one. She deals with guilt on a level that most of us can’t imagine.

Not only do I whole-heartedly support organ donation, but I would also encourage anyone who donates to consider meeting the people who have been the recipient and vice-versa. A healing takes place between the two parties that is amazing. I seriously have never had the first regret about any part of the process.


You can’t imagine the feeling and peace it gives me to be able to hug my new friend and know that the heart of my baby boy is beating strong inside of her, giving her life and letting her make a difference!!  --Lori Patterson, RRT

Lori Patterson Organ Donation



Lori Patterson has been a flight respiratory therapist for AirMed since 2010. She recently married her longtime love, Rusty, in the presence of her friends, family and Austin's two sisters.

No comments :

Post a Comment