When a business trip turns deadly: how one man made it home alive

Cliff Hawk, owner and president of Texas company KnightHawk Engineering shares the remarkable story of his near-death experience and the AirMed transport that helped get him the care he desperately needed.

"WHERE AM I?"
I suddenly awoke in a hospital bed and immediately noticed everyone was speaking in a language I did not understand. Then to my surprise my two boys and wife gathered around the bed side. I was on a ventilator and could not speak. My wife and sons started relaying the events that had occurred, starting with:

“You are in Seoul, South Korea in the University Hospital.” The story unfolded over the next week, and to this day, I can’t believe the story was about me and the struggle my family had.
Mr. Hawk shared this photo of him being taken aboard
AirMed's Hawker medical jet en route to Seoul, South Korea

Traveling for my company, Knighthawk, I arrived in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (UB) the capital city, at Genghis Khan Airport, then boarded a company plane for a 2.5 hour flight out into the Great Gobi Desert. The job site was at one of the largest copper and gold mines in the world. I started feeling under the weather, and the next morning I decided I better go to the site clinic. Within a matter of hours I had high fever, and it was decided that I must be air evacuated to a major clinic.

"I GOT WORSE."
All of my major organs began to shut down. The Mongolians called the U.S. embassy to start paperwork to transport my body to Houston. They told my wife and sons that I would die, but my wife and family refused to accept it.

My wife injected her knowledge with the help of Houston doctors into the situation.
Changes were made and against the Mongolian doctors’ advice, my wife and sons made the prayerfully thought out decision to life flight me via AirMed to Seoul, South Korea.

GETTING HOME VIA AN AIRMED PLANE
I arrived into Seoul at death’s door, and was immediately taken to the Seoul National University Hospital and put into the Intensive Care facility. I made it through the night and in four days had another major surgery. Soon, my vital signs went to normal, and the doctors said I could be medically evacuated back to Houston.

The last conversation with the doctors in Seoul the night before I left was surreal. “We have no idea why you are still on this earth and how you recovered.”

After six ambulance trips, two major surgeries and two air evacuations, I made it home to Houston alive. Study my story and realize that things can change in a moment. Thank you to AirMed and the rest of the people who helped to save my life.  --Cliff Hawk

No comments :

Post a Comment